Update from the home front

Yes I made it home on Saturday!  Aaron, M&M and Aaron's family greeted me upon discharge to caravan me home. The kids rode with their cousins and Aaron and I cruised home solo in my car as it was deemed the easiest to get in and out of. I slid right in to the passenger seat and we headed west!  I felt like I hadn't been in a car in years.  It was also a little funny seeing Aaron drive my car as that truly hasn't happened in years (he's a bit tall for my car :).

The fam * Leaving hospital *

The fam * Leaving hospital *

We pulled into the driveway and my eyes discovered a new ramp and the cutest welcome home mega-sign adorned to the garage doors. Aaron, his brother (Brandon), brother-in-law (Mark) and Mitchell of course were the architects and builders of the ramp. They picked the perfect spot on the side of our house leading up to the front porch. And in true resourceful fashion, they were able to use wood we already had from a deck tear-out we did last fall. Pretty impressive accomplishment for a Saturday morning.  Everything inside the house was set-up and ready to go as well.  I felt extremely loved and cared for due to all of these homecoming efforts. 

Best sign ever.

Best sign ever.

Once I got settled in, there was a lot to take in being in a different environment with my injuries. My first evening home was frankly an extra-large mixed bag of feelings.

Some of them great feelings brought on by... The sights and smells of home. Seeing my kids in their everyday life again. Feeling some fresh air outside. Eating something other than hospital food!  

Some of them were more challenging feelings due to... Other people in my kitchen cooking and cleaning and generally doing the hosting thing (that's my job usually!).  Having to let others help give my kids their baths and put them to bed (that's what I do every night!). Just generally sitting there like a blob while everyone does everything around you, for you. (I can hear my sister thinking there was a time back in the day when this was my specialty-ha)

Net/net I took a lot in but Saturday night wasn't overly emotional either way. The above feelings generally netted each other out just leaving me a little numb and tired but all in all fine. 

I spent Saturday night sleeping in my new fancy TempurPedic adjustable bed in the middle of the living room.  Kind of a funny experience at first but overall

pretty awesome to be sleeping under the same roof as my family which is what I'd been craving.  I was also proud and excited I could make it through the night without waking anyone for assistance. I've found a way to open the pain pills with my left hand and pressure from the right hand splint, using my cell phone to check labels. 

Woke up Sunday morning to Mitchell "sneaking out" to come see me and snuggle (as he said-it was 8:00 though :). We enjoyed a little cartoon time until the house started moving. Everyone else got up and we enjoyed a nice breakfast complete with Morgan sitting in bed with me to share a plate and "feed her like a bird".  Needless to say a great start to the day. 

Everyone got ready for church except me as Aaron thought it was a bad idea for me to go. He was probably right as I'm still attached to a wound vac which involves contraptions and cords. Plus I had the luxury of communion the day before from the hospital chaplain.  Mark (bro in law) stayed home with me so Aaron could take our kids. I successfully helped Morgan get dressed for church with one hand - including buttons on her dress - which was a victory as it's those little things that make me feel normal.  The rest of Sunday was awesome, getting into my new groove and healing at home. 

Speaking of the little things, when you are in an extreme situation like this, you become acutely aware of all of the tiny details that comprise a day.  Little things you do independently without having to wait and ask for help.  Such as...

*Getting out of bed in the morning

*Brushing your teeth

*Putting your hair in a ponytail (I know this is only relevant to a % of you but I cannot wait to do this again on my own!  I've had nurses, aides, PTs, family members, etc put my hair up over the last two weeks!  Lucky for me they obliged as I am so much more comfortable this way).

*Taking a shower!  (I am still in wound status sponge bath land)

*Driving a car

*Picking up your kid to hold them

*Typing with ten fingers :)

*Leaving the dinner table when you're done (I just sit and wait for a ride!)

*Getting a drink of water


I don't point these things out to pity me. I have help and I know I'll do these things again. And I'll be doing them sooner than later!  I point them out to share with you all how I have thought about how easy it is to take these minute details of life for granted. None of these things garner much fanfare in a typical life during a typical day...until you can't do them anymore.  There's also an interrelationship to the whole perspective conversation. You may wish you had a new car, something newer and nicer. Or you could realize it's even a gift to be able to drive. It's easy to get in the more, more, more trap of life. 

My Mom and Dad have a plaque on their wall that speaks to this theme. (there's also a version in a Sheryl Crow song :)

It's not having what you want. It's wanting what you have. 

I believe my Mom and Dad have done a great job living that philosophy overall.  It must work because they've been married 41 years today.  Happy Anniversary to the best parents a girl could ask for!

In closing, I want to again offer up my appreciation for the encouragement, prayers, cards, messages and sense of overall community support. I laugh when I hear someone say they pounce on their device when they see a journal entry because I do the same pounce with each of your messages. I am blown away by you guys. Your love and support truly means more than I can say. 

I have many chapters left in this journey. Thanks for sticking by me for the ride!

Love, Lindsey